This independent review of industrial digitalisation was commisioned by UK Government and led by Professor Juergen Maier CBE, Chair of Made Smarter UK.
The Review provides a set of proposals that will equip the UK with the means to fully embrace the next industrial revolution. It is focused on 4 priority areas informed by the main challenges business face. They are:
Leadership: More ambitious, informed and focused leadership, including the creation of a Made Smarter Commission.
Adoption: More widespread adoption of technology across supply chains, especially amongst SME makers.
Innovation: Faster innovation and creation of new tech, new companies / value-streams and new
capabilities to sustain UK competitive advantage.
- Skills development: Upskilling team members to create a workforce that can build a better, stronger and smarter future.
- Raising UK productivity and international competitiveness
- Creating new, higher-paid, higher-skilled jobs that add value to society and positively offset the displacement of poor productivity and poorly paid jobs
- Strengthening UK supply chains and creating new value streams
- Addressing regional economic disparities
- Increasing exports through competitiveness
- Creating a new vibrant technology market serving UK industry and attracting overseas investment
- Improving the resource efficiency of the UK’s industrial base, making it more resilient to global resource supply disruptions and reducing its environmental impact through more efficient manufacturing and industrial processes and more optimised supply chains.